Monday 28 May 2012

Marco's Duck Egg Pasta ravioli with Parma Ham and Mushrooms

So imagine, I'm sat at work thinking up recipes and Marco pops in to ask a question. So I ask one back, what would be a good filling for Duck Egg Pasta Ravioli. Originally I explained that I intended to do a Duck leg confit with a clear broth. And although this sounded good to him as a resident of Monza he felt that that would be too heavy a filling.

Together we played around with filling flavours and finally settle on this recipe, and it was fab. However, I cannot stress the importance of a good pasta. You don't have to make your own, but it's worth the extra effort.

 
 
I made two types of pasta, both duck egg based. This is simple and I used the basis of the Masterchef IPad app. I tweaked it a little as I was using duck eggs. same weight of Zero Zero flour to egg ratio as a starter, adding a little flour at a time if too wet. It didn't take much more. For the green pasta I substituted one egg with blender baby spinach.

Before you start, clear your are and layout the ingredients. This recipe moves quickly and you don't want to go searching around for items.

 

Ingredients

  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 banana shallot finely cut, makes about 2 tablespoons
  • 5 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3 thick slices or Parma Ham
  • 2 cups mixed mushrooms thinly sliced. I used Chestnut, Oyster and chanterelle.
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1-1/2 cups grated Pecorino cheese (or Parmesan)



Directions
  1. Prepare all ingredient before hand. Pasta should be chilling in the fridge.
  2. Put the olive oil in a shallow pan and heat, add the shallots and cook until soft, about 2 minutes - Don't let it burn.
  3. Add the mushroom and garlic and cook for another two minutes, finally adding the parma ham and cooking for a further minute.
  4. Take off the heat and put into a bowl, to prevent further cooking, stir in the Pecorino then leave to chill.

To make the Ravioli, roll out to thin sheets and cut the desired shape. I used a round cutter and use this as a way of placing the filling in the center. Place a further pasta disc on top then sealing with water, making sure all the air is removed.

Cooking time in boiling salted water only takes minutes, as soon as they float then remove from the water and serve with a nice sage butter with a little nutmeg.

Yum

 

No comments:

Post a Comment